History of the collection
Since 1952, BPW Bergische Achsen KG in Wiehl has had its own company museum, the Museum Achse, Rad und Wagen (Axle, Wheel and Carriage). The beginnings, however, stretch back to the 1930s. At that time, an exhibition room was furnished, where in addition to its own products, models of historic carriages and documents about the development of vehicle construction were exhibited. The basis for the collection stemmed from an initiative of Fritz Kotz (1908-1980).
Even today, the collection is being continuously expanded and developed. To date, besides the historic and modern axles by BPW, the collection presents prehistoric and antique exhibits from Europe, Asia and Africa. The vehicle construction of modern times is reflected in the exhibited print products, art objects, teaching models and in complete carriages of the 17th to 20th century.